Friday, November 8, 2013

Moti Dhaba Chicken Curry



OK so first things first....the plan was to make Tanya Manjunath's Chicken Butter Roast Recipe but then things turned out completely differently but a real good one at that! after all the recipe was so good it just couldn't go wrong!

The original recipe: http://tanyasrecipez.blogspot.com/2013/09/chicken-butter-roast.html

The look of the dish was so tempting that within a day of seeing this recipe I decided to make my version! the Garlic and the Butter flavours were very inviting indeed!

And the resulting dish was simply awesome and the taste was very similar to the Chicken Curry I have always enjoyed at Moti Dhaba, Ghanta Ghar, North Delhi...had it for the first time when I was in Class 9 in 1994 when I was just a 14 years old! my brother took me there and then it became a regular trip for us! the Chicken & Mutton Curry there have been always the best curries I have had and there has been no competition ever since! so many memories from that place come gushing to my mind....but the worst part is that I can't go there now as my brother told me that there was some family fight and the Dhaba closed down...so I got to make this recipe again & again to remind me of Moti Dhaba!

And I would be definitely trying Tanya's recipe again too to get those lovely colours!

Without further adieu the recipe details....

Ingredients:

Chicken – 750 grams
Dry red chillies – 10 (depending on your taste)
Coriander seeds – 4 tbsp
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 2 inches piece
Green cardamom - 4
Garlic – 8-10 cloves - crushed
Onion – 2 medium – roughly chopped
Butter – 6 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt
Water as needed


Method:

1. In a non-stick kadhai dry roast the dried red chillies, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Ensure that you don't burn these spices and then let them cool off.

2. In the same kadhai heat 2 tbsp of butter plus 1/2 tsp oil then add the garlic and onion. Saute till the mixture turns golden brown and the aromas engulf you & the kitchen.

3. Now grind this along with the above roasted spices into a fine paste. Add water for the consistency.

4. Heat 4 tbsp butter plus 1/2 tsp oil and add the masala paste. Keep stirring till the oil separates.

5. Add the chicken pieces and keep frying for 10-12 minutes and add salt.

6. Cover and cook on a medium flame and add water based on your gravy preference.

7. Once the chicken is cooked, uncover it and fry it on high flame.

8. The Moti Dhaba Curry is ready to be devoured with Rice and Rotis.

9. Thank me later!

Till the time we meet again…

Cheers to life…

Till then ride safe and have safe sex…

Hasta la Victoria Siempre…

3 comments:

Narender Kumar Gautam said...

Easy to cook curry,I guess.Thanks Nishant for a this simplified recipe.Will try it in my next cooking effort.
And Ghanta Ghar,you made me completely nostalgic.My mother used to take me there and i had thousnads of memories of Ghanta Ghar,Amba Cinema,Birla mills.I had my life's first Dosa at Ghanta Ghar Subji Mandi.There was also a Chole Bhature shop right below clock tower.

Narender Kumar Gautam said...

Vikrant Cafe,bloody nostalgic...This cafe was bang ON the main road near Shakiti Nagar Chowk.
Rana Pratap Bagh,I still remember those Triplia Gate underneath where bus route no. 128 from my village used to pass.

sarika salil jha said...

Love u, found this while searching for chicken curries on Google.