This is one dish which I have always loved gorging in the by-lanes of Old Delhi but the Lamb Version and the distinct name Ishtew came from there only! The Karim's and Al Jawahars of the world are the real experts so when I saw the recipe on Seema Hussain's FB Page: It'S All About Seem's Food I had to make this one...
She had posted the Mutton Stew recipe but I decided to make Chicken Ishtew instead! Thursday Evening, start of the weekend and the perfect time to start it on a high....
And it came out superb! very easy to make and the texture of this dish is very unique indeed....creamy without the cream and mellow due to the onions...and not too spicy as well! highly recommended I say!
Here you go with the recipe...
750 grams Fresh Chicken
600 grams Sliced Onion
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds slightly roasted and coarsely ground
1 tsp whole black pepper
5 to 6 cloves
6-7 green cardamoms
2 black cardamoms
2 bay leaves
8-9 whole dry red chillies (dried)
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 whole green chillies (slit)
cooking oil - 6 tbsp
salt as per taste
1. Heat the oil in a Kadhai, Put the Black-Green cardamoms, cumin seeds ,black pepper, cloves, bay leaves and fry 1/4th of the sliced onions well till they are light brown in color and soft
2. Then add the chopped ginger & garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes
2. Add the chicken and fry well, after 5 - 6 minutes
3. Then add the coriander seeds add half cup water and fry on low flame for 3-4 minutes
4. Now add the remaining onions, whole red chillies(roughly chopped), Add 1 cup water and salt to taste.
5. Cover the lid of the Kadhai and let it cook till the chicken is almost done while stirring in between
6. Once the Chicken is cooked open the lid and cook it without the lid and cook this till the gravy is thick and onion is fully dissolved and the oil starts floating
7. Add the green chillies simmer on a very low heat for few minutes and serve
8. Thank me later
Till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…