Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2010 Oscar Awards...My Selection...


Watching Movies & following them has always been a passion for me since my childhood days but since the last 5-7 years never got enough time when I was in India to watch too many, used to watch the latest Hindi Ones in Theatres but rarely watched any English Movies except for some and then in March 2010 I came to Kuwait and rest they say is History!!! I have been on a Movie-watching spree since then I have watched 130 Movies (70 Hindi & 60 English), Yes I maintain an excel sheet to keep a track!!! Kuwait gives me ample time to pursue my hobby of watching & following Movies and I am lapping it up here…

The nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards were announced on January 25th 2011 & I decided to watch all the movies nominated for the Major Award Categories (I had watched only Inception out of the list before)…and here I am almost a month later & have watched all those movies except two – Biutiful & Toy Story 3 for obvious reasons, Biutiful is a Spanish Movie & I ain’t no Spanish Expert and I haven’t watched Toy Story – 1 or 2 so making the 3rd edition wouldn’t have made much sense…

The Award Ceremony would take place on the 27th February 2011 but sadly I wont be able to watch it Live as I would be riding to Abhaneri in Rajasthan then as part of The BoP Abhaneri Ajgars Ride but as you all know Motorcycling comes first for me…always & every time so I am not too sad about that and would check the results online during the ride…

So after watching these 13 movies here’s presenting my own Oscar Awards for Cinematic Brilliance in the Year 2010 for the 6 Major Categories…I am sure all of you out there would have your own favourites as well & I am hoping for some level-headed debate after you read this post so folks…bring it on!!!

The Nominations are mentioned first & then my Winner comes later….

Enjoy Reading…


Best Film

127 Hours
– Danny Boyle and Christian Colson
Black Swan – Scott Franklin, Mike Medavoy, and Brian Oliver
The Fighter – David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman, and Mark Wahlberg
Inception – Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas
The Kids Are All Right – Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte, and Celine Rattray
The King's Speech – Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, and Gareth Unwin
The Social Network – Dana Brunetti, Ceán Chaffin, Michael De Luca, and Scott Rudin
Toy Story 3 – Darla K. Anderson
True Grit – Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, and Scott Rudin
Winter's Bone – Alix Madigan and Anne Rosellini


And The Award goes to “The King’s Speech”
The way they have recreated Britain of yesteryears immaculately & for the sheer brilliance of Colin Firth the award goes to this movie…

Black Swan was my 2nd choice….


Best Director

Darren Aronofsky
– Black Swan
Ethan Coen and Joel Coen – True Grit
David Fincher – The Social Network
Tom Hooper – The King's Speech
David O. Russell – The Fighter

My Award would have gone to Danny Boyle if he was nominated as he has made a brilliant movie which could have been a big bore due to its documentary-styled storyline but it never was boring and kept me glued all the time…


But sadly Boyle wasn’t nominated so my Award goes to “Tom Hooper” for The King's Speech…I had thought this movie would be a boring one due to its storyline but I was hopelessly wrong; I found this movie very very interesting & from a Direction point of view the best one from the nominated lot.

Best Actor

Javier Bardem – Biutiful as Uxbal
Jeff Bridges – True Grit as Rooster Cogburn
Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network as Mark Zuckerberg
Colin Firth – The King's Speech as Prince Albert / King George VI
James Franco – 127 Hours as Aron Ralston


An easy choice… “Colin Firth” for The King's Speech all the way…The way he has brought realism to his character is mind-boggling…the angst, the lack of confidence…he defines both of them superbly…
James Franco was my second choice…

Best Actress

Annette Bening – The Kids Are All Right as Nic
Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole as Becca Corbett
Jennifer Lawrence – Winter's Bone as Ree Dolly
Natalie Portman – Black Swan as Nina Sayers
Michelle Williams – Blue Valentine as Cindy


This was the toughest choice to make for me… “Natalie Portman” for Black Swan…her performance simply blew me away…amazing is the word….but all the 5 performance were top-class this year…I choose Natalie because she was the most intoxicating!!!

Jennifer Lawrence was my second choice…

Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale
– The Fighter as Dicky Eklund
John Hawkes – Winter's Bone as Teardrop
Jeremy Renner – The Town as James "Gem" Coughlin
Mark Ruffalo – The Kids Are All Right as Paul
Geoffrey Rush – The King's Speech as Lionel Logue


The Award goes to “Christian Bale” for The Fighter…his portrayal of Dicky Eklund was damn impressive, he has put life in such a hopeless character, the way he has portrayed the look of a Drug Addict & a loser-boxer, the way he has given the TV interviews in the movie, the way he treats his younger brother…and its always tough to play a real-life character & do justice to it… I am sure there won’t be many people disagreeing on this one…

Geoffrey Rush was my second choice…and I believe that Jeremy Renner was an awful nomination...

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams
– The Fighter as Charlene Fleming
Helena Bonham Carter – The King's Speech as Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon / Queen Elizabeth
Melissa Leo – The Fighter as Alice Ward
Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit as Mattie Ross
Jacki Weaver – Animal Kingdom as Janine "Smurf" Cody


The final award in my list goes to “Hailee Steinfeld” for True Grit…she was the protagonist of the movie and what a stellar performance…only she could have upstaged Jeff Bridges in a battle of performances& she had the talent to come out as the clear winner…

This has been an amazing year for Hollywood with some magical movies which released this year and the Academy Awards Jury ahs given the nominations to the best movies and I hope the same kind of good sense prevails when it comes to awarding the Final Winners as well…
Enjoy the Ceremony on Sunday The 27th of February 2011...
Che Guevara would back on the Road again...
Till then have safe sex & ride safe...
Hasta La Victoria Siempre...

4 comments:

Rohit Sharma said...

Bindaas!!
I too maintain an excel sheet bro ;).
Btw these were good ones - lets see who gets what on the D day, i will be watching it live though :)
Yet to watch Kings speech, will see it this weekend with Fighter.
Fantastic write up.

Keep up the good work.

Sharma said...

I have a feeling that The Social Network might get the best director, although King's speech has excellent direction. King's speech had better story but social network was without much of a story.
Rest Your opinion = My opinion

Sharma said...

One more thing, if you have not seen Biutiful, I am not sure how you can declare Colin Firth as an easy choice. Javier Bardem is a brilliant actor, won the oscar for 'No country for old men'.. Scared the shit out of me in that movie.. ruthless

Che Guevara on the Road said...

@ Sharma...Because Biutiful is a Spanish Movie and I cant understand Spanish...plus I have a strong feeling that he wont win the "Best Actor" Award but the movie would surely win "The Best Faoreign Language Movie" Award...