Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Goan Chicken Vindaloo



 I have a strong connection with Goa as most of you know! I did my MBA from Goa Institute of Management and enjoyed 2 years of Sea, Sun and Sands from 2001 to 2003! and yeah studied a bit too!

Always enjoyed the local Goan delicacies when I was there and also during my 3 subsequent trips after finishing my MBA...during my September 2013 India Trip I visited the famous Goan Restaurant "Bernando's" in Gurgaon with my family and the food was very amazing! Recently a Goan restaurant opened here in Kuwait with the most clichéd name of all time "Viva Goa" and the food there is disappointing to say the least!

So the desire to enjoy a Goan dish wasn't fulfilled so I decided to give it a shot myself! and that's how this recipe was tried and thankfully it came out really well!

I found out a very easy recipe on Sailu's Food Blog and decided that would follow it...my past experience of recipes from this blog has always been wonderful so it was definitely a safe bet!

Here is the original recipe post: http://www.sailusfood.com/2009/11/19/goan-chicken-vindaloo/

Here you go with the details...

Ingredients:

1 kg Chicken, washed and cut into small pieces
2 large onions - sliced
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
4 tbsps vinegar + 2 tbsp grated jaggery (let it sit for 15 mts)
Salt to taste
2 tbsps oil

Make a paste: 
1 tbsp roasted fenugreek seeds
2 tsp roasted cumin seeds/jeera
1 tbsp roasted pepper corns
6 dry red chillis, lightly roasted
1 roasted cinnamon stick
2 green elaichi
Water






Method:

1. Wash the Chicken Pieces.



Onions to be Caramelized by lightly roasting them in a tbsp of oil till caramalized, cool and make a paste
This was the first time I was doing this so followed this link: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/







2. Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add mustard seeds and as they sizzle, add ginger garlic paste and fry for 4-5 minutes.

3. Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and stir for 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the chicken pieces and fry till they are slightly browned for 10-15 minutes.

5. Remove the chicken pieces and keep aside.



6. In the same vessel, drizzle some more oil, if required, add the browned onion paste and ground masala paste and saute for 5 minutes



7. Add the vinegar-jaggery mixture and combine.

8. Add 2 cups of water and the browned chicken pieces and cook till the chicken turns soft and it forms a thick gravy

9. Add more water depending on the kind of gravy consistency you desire.

10. Serve it piping hot with Rotis/Pao/Paranthas.

11. Thank me Later


So till the time we meet again……..

Cheers to life…

Till then ride safe and have safe sex…

Hasta la Victoria Siempre…

Jai BoP!


No comments: